Sunday, October 25, 2015

Apple Wood Smoked Chicken



As we wind down the warm weather this year, I thought I'd cook one last smoked roasted chicken. Though I don't use a pellet smoker like a Tagger, you can still get a nice pink smoke ring on the chicken using your gas grill. I use apple wood chips that I soak in water and wrap in aluminum foil with a few knife slits and set just over the burner. This will smoke for an hour or so and sometimes I might go for a second pouch of chips if I'm going really low and slow.



Ingredients:
1 organic chicken
Seasoning of choice
Aluminum foil
Apple wood chips




Preparation:
Rinse the chicken in cold water and dry. Lay the chicken breast side down and using your poultry shearers cut out the back. Next, butterfly the chicken and season with salt & pepper and some BBQ rub if you like.

Prepare the wood chips by soaking in water for a few minutes and then wrap in a tin foil in a tube shape so it will lay across the burner.



Heat the grill to 300 degrees using the rear burner only, leaving the front two burners off. Place the wood chips over the back burner and place the chicken breast side up in the front of the grill. Cook the chicken over indirect heat for 90 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before carving and enjoy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment